Production Technician I – Downstream Processing
The business of Epitopix is to discover, develop, manufacture and sell veterinary vaccines. Epitopix is the US operating unit of the Vaxxinova Group, headquartered in the Netherlands. Vaxxinova currently has facilities in nine countries including Brazil, Germany, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Norway, the Netherlands, Thailand, and the USA. Vaxxinova is part of the family-owned EW Group, headquartered in Germany. The EW Group specializes in animal genetics, animal nutrition and animal health, operates in over 100 countries and records consistent international growth.
As a key member of the Downstream Processing department the Production Technician is responsible for the disruption and purification of bacteria used to create vaccines based on proprietary SRP technology. This critical and results oriented role will be engaged in production, process improvement and the support functions necessary to ensure vaccine delivery to hundreds of customers throughout North America and the world. SRP technology is critical to the maintenance of the global food supply and the Production Technician is truly in on the ground floor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Operation of production equipment associated with the Downstream Processing department.
• Disassembly, cleaning and reassembly of production equipment and work areas.
• Preparation of liquid buffers used during the purification processes.
• Assisting other technicians with troubleshooting and solving technical problems in Downstream Processing.
• Maintenance of a clean work environment to assure sterility.
• Prioritizing segmented tasks among concurrent processes.
Compliance, Teamwork and Process Improvement
• Manually record all necessary information immediately upon completion of a task.
• Maintenance of records associated with downstream processes.
• Independent work as a part of a small team during processes.
• Completion of assigned tasks in a timely manner and maintenance of continuity in workflow.
• Performing daily facility cleaning and keeping work areas in a neat and orderly condition.
• Completing and documenting required procedure and safety training.
• Assisting other manufacturing departments when schedule permits.
• Assisting with experimental design and technical transfer projects. Communicating project status with appropriate stakeholders across departments.
• Training or cross-training other technicians.
• Reviewing and updating manufacturing documentation.
• Researching new equipment and processes, applying information to job responsibilities.
• Working on cross-departmental teams to implement novel processes.
• Answering technical questions for other members in the department and for other departments.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Basic math
• Basic computer skills
• High fluency in English
Skills / Abilities
• Hard working individual with a positive attitude and passion for detailed completion of assigned duties.
• Natural abilities and strengths in multi-tasking, problem solving and prioritization.
• Confidence to work and make decisions independently and be self-directed.
• Willing to roll-up your sleeves and perform work that requires: being on your feet, twisting, turning, reaching, crouching, kneeling, stooping and some lifting of equipment.
• Someone who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to adapt and react positively to changes in daily routine.
• None required.
• One (1) to Two (2) years in a manufacturing environment preferred.
• Some mechanical problem-solving experience or aptitude are a huge plus.
• High school diploma or equivalent required.
• Two (2) to Four (4) year degree in any technical field preferred.
• This position is a day shift position with primary hours between 7:00 AM-4:00 PM Monday through Friday with potential overtime depending on production schedules. There may be flexibility within these hours.
Epitopix is committed to workplace safety, with all employees undergoing routine training. We are a biosafety level 2 large scale facility with products originating from live bacteria with possible exposure to infectious organisms, allergens, chemicals and materials requiring appropriate, company-provided personal protective equipment including, but not limited to, cleanroom coveralls, face masks, gloves and safety glasses. The position requires visual acuity, manual dexterity and ability to work on equipment while standing, bending, kneeling or sitting, often while gowned for cleanroom access. Work from elevated platforms and ladders is required. Color vision (red, green, blue), and depth perception are necessary to effectively and safely use tools and machinery. This position requires occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds without assistance as well as pushing and pulling mobile carts and process vessels.