Product Manager – New Products
GILLIG LLC is the largest and most dependable manufacturer of Heavy-Duty Transit Buses in North America. Our customers are in all 50 states, and include cities, counties, transit districts, universities and major private fleet operators. We are headquartered in Livermore, CA.
GILLIG offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including 100% company-paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their families. Other benefits include a unique 401k profit-sharing plan.
In order to deliver on our mission to design, build and support the safest and most reliable buses in the industry, GILLIG takes a thoughtful, research-based approach to developing our strategic product portfolio roadmap. We partner with our customers and our suppliers to understand customer requirements, market trends, product capabilities, technology trends and strategic opportunities. Leveraging this insight, we design and build market leading products in our world-class manufacturing facilities in Livermore, CA.
The Product Manager - New Products is responsible for developing a deep understanding of the internal and customer requirements, competitive forces, supplier capabilities and the overall strategic positioning of GILLIG's Product Portfolio and analyzing and using that information to facilitate strategic decision making.
This individual will report to the Vice President, Product Planning & Strategy and will work collaboratively and closely with the company's leadership team
- Own the development of product roadmaps for major systems and services within GILLIG's portfolio, including, but not limited to advanced driver assistance systems, vehicle automation, telematics and prognostics, body electronics and advanced diagnostics
- Develop a robust analysis of supplier and competitor capabilities, roadmaps and limitations within portfolio and serve as GILLIG's in-house expert on all such information
- Utilize macro, market or technology trends as inputs into product plans
- Establish a deep understanding of customer requirements and value positions
- Collaborate with GILLIG leadership and subject matter experts to gain deep understanding of requirements and value positions
- Identify and develop business case for new product development opportunities within product portfolio, including the development of cost, demand and return on investment analyses
- Support development of product marketing materials and competitor claim rebuttals
- Develop value proposition for new products and articulate appropriate position within the business
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with key current and potential future suppliers
- Lead negotiations of term sheets and supply agreements with key strategic suppliers
- Drive cross-functional alignment to the product plan
- Onsite position in Livermore, CA
- Scheduled start time between 6:00-7:00 (negotiable)
- Domestic travel to meet with customer or suppliers and attend industry conferences may be required
After 130 years, GILLIG holds strong to its family values and focus on its employees and customers. Our motivated and dedicated employees have a passion for quality and customer satisfaction.
We are committed to building buses that connect communities, eliminate congestion, and contribute to a greener environment.
Our Company pride is exemplified by the thoughtful design and quality craftsmanship present in every GILLIG bus. GILLIG's steadfast focus on quality and unwavering commitment to exceptional customer service sets us apart from our competition.
In compliance with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988, GILLIG has a longstanding commitment to provide a safe, quality-oriented and productive work environment consistent with the standards in which the company operates. Drug abuse poses a threat to the health and safety of GILLIG employees and to the security of the company's equipment and facilities.
For these reasons, GILLIG is committed to the elimination of drug and alcohol use and abuse in the workplace. All applicants must pass a drug test before beginning work.
GILLIG is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer.
- BS in Business or Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- 6+ years in Product Management, Automotive Engineering, Strategic Planning or other relevant experience required
- Ability to analyze highly detailed, technical product information and distill salient comparisons in clear and concise, executive level presentations
- Exceptional organizational, planning, and project management skills
- Attention to detail, a strong work ethic, and the ability both to deliver on tight deadlines and firmly steer long-term projects
- Proven technical, quantitative and critical-thinking skills, high level of independent judgment, initiative and creativity to identify and clearly communicate key performance drivers to senior management
- Hands-on experience using strategic and tactical decision-making tools and methods such as Analytic hierarchy process, Pugh analysis, Kano, Ansoff, X-Matrix, etc.
- Experience leading cross-functional stakeholders in organized, technology- and product-focused data gathering, analysis and selection processes.
- Ability to build and right-size processes and methods in a very dynamic technology field with a very dynamic set of customer needs.
- Background in Automotive, Aerospace, or Construction/Commercial Equipment preferred
- Experience within advanced technology and R&D environments preferred
- Demonstrated effective written, interpersonal and oral communication skills
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor work visas now or in the future